STAY POSTED ON LEGISLATIVE ACTIVITY: PSLA Legislation Blog
Support the HB 740 “One Certified Librarian Per Public School” Legislation!
Contact your PA House Representative today to encourage him/her to sign the co-sponsorship memo being circulated by Rep. Mark Longietti (D-part of Mercer County) and Rep. Thomas Murt (R- part of Montgomery County and part of Philadelphia County).
Read the co-sponsorship memoranda posted February 14, 2017, at http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legis/CSM/showMemoPublic.cfm?chamber=H&SPick=20170&cosponId=22917.
To find out who your state representative is and contact info, type your full address here. Remember you may have two sets of state legislators who you can contact—a representative for your home address, and possibly a different one for your work address. Check both addresses and contact both legislators!
The Ask: Please sign the co-sponsorship memo: One “Certified Librarian” Per Public School being circulated by Rep. Longietti and Rep. Murt
Possible Talking Points:
- All students deserve to have access to quality resources and instruction that a school library program and certified librarian provides, not just those who live in a wealthy zipcode.
- School librarians teach students to evaluate information that they read, see or view, learning how to distinguish reliable and trustworthy information from misinformation and fake news.
- Prison libraries are required to have certified librarians in Pennsylvania, but not our public schools.
- Please add a personal story of how your school library program made a difference with a student!
Resources to Help Advocate for the Legislation (pdfs)
Watch the School Library Hearing of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives Education Committee held on August 30, 2016. This serves as a good example of how a congressional (state-level) hearing is organized and conducted.
The following speakers presented to the committee the role of a 21st century librarian and the important position shool librarians fulfill in educating students
- Allison Burrell, school librarian, Southern Columbia School District and President, PSLA
- Dr. Randy Ziegenfuss, Superintendent, Salisbury Township School District
- Kelly Gustafson, Coordinator of Elementary Education, Federal Programs, and Instruction for Greensburg Salem School District
- Dr. Cathi Fuhrman, Library Department Supervisor for Hempfield High School
- Megan Maloney, Kutztown University Library Sciences Major